Friday, December 08, 2006

He Gently Leads Those That Are With Young...

Lots of laughs at the dress up bin!!
These are yesterday's happenings...just never had a chance to post it ...
Today, my day officially began at 7am...yes ~Mercy slept right through her 4 am earlybird special ~Thank you Lord for this tender leading in giving me a full night of sleep! This morning we attempted to get a picture of everyone together in their Liberian outfits but it was a bit of a chaotic fiasco with noone wanting to be still long enough to take the picture...we tried to get some shots of the kids in motion chasing each other to no avail ...maybe next time~ at least there were lots of giggles and laughter as streaks of African color flew past the camera! Odesco especially liked his spiffy duds and he looked so adorable in his mostly bright orange outfit! Later the kids discovered the dress-up bin...what a hoot seeing Odesco decked out in a coon skin cap topped with a red hard hat and a denim jacket to finish out the look!...he reminded me of a member of the Village People(remember the song"YMCA"??)He actually wore this light jacket and coon skin cap to his bloodwork appt...decided putting a heavy coat on was not a hill worth dying on even if it was absolutely freezing outside today!
This afternoon, the Lord again showed His tender kindness to this Mommy...After dropping off B4,B3 and B1 at a friend's house, we arrived at CHOP'S Satellite branch for bloodwork only to learn that our appointment was yesterday!! In the fog of transition, I had confused my days and inadvertantly thought the appointment was scheduled today! ...by God's grace, I didn't check the calendar before leaving the house or I would have rescheduled if I'd seen my mistake. Instead, we(Mark was home today specifically for this appt!) unknowingly showed up and after making a few calls, the staff graciously agreed to see us anyhow. It was as traumatic as we anticipated but, the staff were exceptional and were able to get all they needed from Mercy. Unfortunately, poor Odesco was so upset that he blew a vein...she tried again to no avail...she was able to fill a few vials but we will have to repeat in a few weeks to get the rest of the tests done. Both children were understandably inconsolable and angry at us as we made our way back out to the car but then perked up with another edible reward!! We then drove to do a few errands without the other kids. Mercy was explaining something to me as we drove and I was getting it all wrong...she had me in hysterics as she tried and tried again("I saaay...") to get me to understand...Finally it clicked and I realized she was describing the process of making Liberian soup with potato greens, crushed palm nuts and fish...she was absolutely hilarious as she went into great detail and then ended with'"I a it an it wa soo swee" ("I ate it and it was sooo sweet"-as in good!)I thought she was telling me about Peter,her friend at the orphanage who went fishing....too funny!!!
After this amusing dialogue, I ran into BJ's alone while Mark drove around the parking lot...I bought 4 Rotisierrie chickens, a spiral ham and some rolls to keep the "staples" in the house for the next few days. We are still enjoying the many generous meals prepared by friends but I am realizing for a while I need to have these foods on hand at all times! As I was finishing up my shopping list, imagine my surprise when I saw 2 very smiley Liberians enjoying the ride of their lives in the cart being pushed by Daddy and B2! This was their first time ever in a store...they were wide eyed but very self controlled and good natured. At one point they saw this animated monkey head and they both yelled out," There's Boo-Boo"...that is the name of the pet monkey at AOH!! On the way to get the other kids we made a quick stop at the Kachs to say hello to Jenkins...we stayed only a few minutes..the kids seemed shy toward one another and didn't really engage each other...maybe once they are all settled and a bit more secure in our homes, they will actually play together!
We are realizing that life as we knew it prior to our blessings arriving will need to be put on hold. Right now, the focus needs to be assimilating them into our family and painstakingly taking as many opportunities as possible to instruct and guide them as they have had sooo few limits/boundaries set in the past. So, homeschool will look a bit different for a while as will our activites outside the home...

Some fun, encouraging tidbits:
** When I took Mercy to her bloodwork appointment, the nusre noted that she seemed really "connected" with me and was amazed that the kids had only been home for 6 days! This was an encouragement to me. Mercy always lets me know when she needs to use the bathroom and wants me in there with her...she also helps me with some of my chores and seems to thrive on positive attention...she is calling me ,"Mommy" on her own and will often come to me just to be close.or she will ask me to come and sit with her if she is at the table eating (which for now is a good part of the day!) On the way back to pick up the kids when we were eating the concillatory french fries, (I know, not healthy -but desperate times call for desperate measures!)I would take a bite and then offer the rest to Mercy telling her how "God loves a cheerful giver." It became a game and I asked if she would share one of hers with me...that suggestion was met by a hearty, "No" ....a few minutes later though, she surprised me by cheerfully offering me one of her prized fries...small action I know but significant in the heart of our sweet daughter!
** We had chicken and rice for chicken tonight and Mercy and Odesco hovered over me as I prepared plates...they both made it very clear that they were interested in something very specific..."I wan boon"...huh? with pointing, I realized they were both requesting a piece with a bone in it...a very rare treat in Liberia and they eat it all...the kids also like to pass food back and forth between each other...it is messy and works best if they sit next to each other without a sibling in between. Eventually we will have to squash this practice but, for now we have more important issues to focus on :)
**Every evening since the children have arrived, we have taken baths...my kids have never been so clean!! It seems to be a comforting part of their routine as Mercy and Odesco actually are used to taking 2 baths per day!!These kids do a great job washing themselves and throwing the cup of water over their heads with no qualms about getting water in their eyes. They are also expert handwashers and love hot water( Mercy won't even immerse her hands until it is good and hot!) which surprised me...but I was just told by one of the AOH workers that there is always a tub of hot water for washing available...so many of their preferences are starting to make sense!!
** Mercy was looking at me and running her fingers through my hair and she asked,"You cu yu ha?" (You cut your hair?) Thinking she was confused because I actually had time to blow it dry today , I explained that it looked different for that reason. She persisted.."No, no you di cu yu hai..I see i i the pictu" She was referring to a picture on my refigerator from a few years ago...she sort of whined and i asked her if she wanted my hair long so she could plait it to which she heartily agreed!!
** Mercy is thriving on routine already...after bathtime we slather lotion all over her, get PJ's on (always a dilemma... this girlie is quite particular-again another issue we are overlooking right now as we work on simple obedience issues!), and then choose clothes for the following day (again a painstaking but humorous process as she coordinates the socks and underwear to her outfit!) she neatly places them in a spot she picked out her first nite' here so that she can easily find them in the morning.
** Both Mercy and Odesco are cheerful helpers...I was sweeping the floor and Mercy got up from the table where she was eating. We have a rule about sitting at the table while eating so I was instructing her to sit back down..then she told me she was getting the brush and dustpan...and without being asked, she expertly cleaned up the piles I had formed :)

The final hour or so before bedtime seems to be the most challenging especially for our little Odesco. We did see progress yesterday as he obediently stepped out of the tub, allowed us to dry him off and put lotion on him...then he seems to shut down...stands stoically refusing to get dressed..this then progresses into a full fledged tantrum. We are thinking that bedtime is a particularly sad time for him and trying to work with him in this area...please pray that we would have wisdom and know what is blatant disobedience, what is grieving etc. This is not a pleasant way to end the day :( usually, he collapses in sheer exhaustion after relentless struggles to get out of bed, remove the blankets, throw the toys etc. He is a strong little boy and we pray that this strength of spirit will one day be directed for God's glory!!
* Okay, I have to share just one other evidence of God's tender mercies toward this Mommy but it will gross some of you out...in order to rule out the presence of parasites in their little bodies we need to take..ahem specimens to the lab to be tested. I will be honest and tell you I was dreading this because I could not imagine them cooperating with me to do this...well, today, I was able to catch both of them at just the right time (smile) and they both shocked me by instantly obeying and sitting on the makeshift potty I had prepared. This in my mind was nothing short of miraculous considering the struggles we have had these past few days....

Truly, He gently leads those that are with young! (Isaiah 40:11)
I am grateful today for His kindhearted, tender leading!! Thanks for checking in and for your continued prayers as we need wisdom during this intense time of transition.
Love,Mama B.

No comments: