Friday, December 04, 2009

Celebrating 3 years as a family of 8!

Last evening we had a memorable family night celebrating Mercy and Odesco's 3 year homecoming anniversary (a day late). We ate a variety of appetizer/finger foods in the living room with the tree lit, candles burning, and Christmas music playing. We each shared a favorite memory surrounding their homecoming. It blessed me to hear the older boys share memories of Odesco's first smile and how excited we all were when we finally saw his pearly white teeth. Then we watched the video of the airport footage and their first week at home. It is unbelievable to see how much they have grown and changed physically in just 3 years... I am so grateful to have this footage--it was such fun hearing their voices and their thick indecipherable accents!

Earlier this week, I had told my hubby that I'd like to start a new annual December tradition idea I had read about: a 'Christmas picnic'...just a simple time to slow down as a family to create a memory. It fit perfectly with the anniversary of the kids homecoming, so a new B family tradition was born :) We look forward to gathering with the Kachs later this month to celebrate with Jenkins and Felicia as well.

After we viewed the video and pictures last night,Our Cyber boy, C was inspired to create the slide show below of Mercy and Odesco's homecoming day and initial weeks at home. I love the song he chose...it is so fitting.

Those of you close to us(or those of you who have perceptively read between the lines of my blog posts!) know that there have been many dark and trying days as we continue to transition, yet in spite of this, we believe with all our hearts that God chose these precious children to become a part of our family. It is His perfect wisdom and sovereign goodness that brought us together. Even the darkest day and my unbelieving heart can not compare to the splendor of His amazing grace which sustains and carries us through it all.


In closing, I wanted to share a quote I recently read which resonates in my heart and really summarizes one of the key lessons I have been learning over these past 3 years.

There is a big difference between being insufficient and using our insufficiency as an excuse to give up.We are all insufficient."The ability to acknowledge our insufficiency is what allows us to tap into Christ's all sufficiency and surpa-abundancy." (from page 23 of Homeschool Supermom-Not!)

Thanks for stopping by and for all of your support over these past 3+ years as we anticipated and prepared for Mercy and Odesco's arrival and now as we continue to walk the path that God has set before us.

Good food always makes an impact with this clan :)

Every anniversary we try to find a significant ornament for Mercy and Odesco to add to their collection.

Slowly their collection is growing...we may need a larger tree to fit them all (just kidding)

Goofy boy :)!





I am so aware of my insufficiency and so grateful for His all sufficiency and supra~abundance!!

4 comments:

Renee said...

Beautiful!!!

What a beautiful, beautiful post.

It has been a blessing to watch God knot your family together over the years. You are such an inspiration!

All 8 of Us said...

Renee,
Thanks so much for your encouragement.I still remember posting on the SL boards a question about adopting from Africa and you directed me to the yahoo group...wow, how much the Lord has done since the dream was birthed in our hearts.I remember how your story spurred me on~ Thanks for your faithful example as well!!
Blessings,
kathi

From Five to Eight said...

Would love to e-mail you sometime. We also adopted 3 from Liberia almost 2 yrs ago...adding to 5 bio kids. It has been quite a growing experience for everyone! (I relate to what you say...between the lines :)
redbarnusa@dybb.com

All 8 of Us said...

I emailed you :)
Blessings,
K