Wednesday, November 15, 2006

God's timing...

Well,
Still no definitive news regarding the childrens' homecoming. Yesterday,we received some sketchy information regarding possible travel scenerios but since I have heard nothing today, I will wait to post those details.
I must admit to being disappointed when we returned home from a full day of homeschool coops and there were no phone messages or emails with regards to Mercy and Odesco's homecoming or Jenkins' (our friend's little boy) passport approval...again I am reminded that His ways are beyond what I can comprehend... He is God, I am not...yes, I know I am stating the obvious but often in my mind, I think I "know" what is best.
Yesterday,the Lord was so kind to direct me to a devotional by John Piper...the meditation I read dealt with God's sovereign timing...hmmm that got my attention!!Specifically, he was speaking of Hebrews 4:16 ~ He spoke of not only finding "grace to help in my time of need" but that a literal translation of the same text states ,"find grace for a well-timed help". One focuses on my need and the other draws attention to God's timing.
Here's a few nuggets from the devotional A Godward Life- (pages 71,72)
" I think we need to be focused on the grace of God's timing. When we have a need, we feel very strongly about when God should meet it. We want Him to act now!! It is not natural to think that God's grace will be shown as much in its timing as in its form. But Hebrews 4:16 reminds us to seek God not only for the kind of grace we need, but also for the timing of grace we need....So, it's not surprising that a "well-timed help" might be different from God's perspective than it is from ours, but His perspective is always best. It is always grace to us. It should always be trusted for what it is and when it is.....He generally times our blessing so that His wisdom, not ours is highlighted. God is far more interested in the patience of faith than in our instant gratification. His timing will always pay dividends beyond what we can imagine. It is always "grace for a well-timed help." The timing and content are gracious. Faith rests in the what and the when of God's grace....
We have every reason to believe He will hear us and help us at the proper time. So, let us come boldly to His throne of grace and receive what He has for us- a grace sovereignly designed and sovereignly timed for our greatest good."

What a sweet morsel of truth to savor as we continue to wait on Him.

No comments: