Thursday, October 22, 2009

Just what I needed....

Today was like a cool drink of water in a dry and parched land. We are in the throes of our homeschool schedule. Life is full as I attempt to juggle the at home schoolwork and the HDO loads of all 6, in addition to preparing for the classes that I am assigned to teach. Add in the daily routine of keeping our home functioning and I was beginning to feel the 'cost' of homeschooling and mothering more than I'd like to admit. This morning we dropped P and C at the Di's who have graciously invited them to join them on a trip to the Poconos for a couple of days.(Yes, they will have to do some school while away!-another perk of homeschooling-they can easily pack up their work!) There were many tears shed by L who misses his big brothers terribly when they are away. (Truth is, I also miss them greatly and can't believe how quickly they are growing up!) Mercy and Odesco were struggling with 'it's not fair' attitudes regarding their big brothers' opportunity for fun with our special friends . All this to say: this morning was a bit draining as I tried to deal with all the emotion being spewed forth. I attempted to help each child to see that they have an opportunity to rejoice for their brothers....and I vainly tried to convince L that the fact he misses his brothers so much is a good thing...that means he has a special friendship with them...he wasn't buying it as the tears continued to flow!!

I decided to let the 'littles' have a break from their school book work after we returned from the big boys' drop off. We watched part of the WWI film," Sergeant York" since we are studying this period in our history curriculum. Soon after an early lunch, we had to leave the house in order to arrive on time to their homeschool soccer game. This was the first time in 3 years that I did not get lost on the way to this particular field... yeah, things were starting to look up :) The weather was amazing today... blue skies, warm sunshine, mild temperatures.... the trees are just beginning their autumn display of color and the 40 minute trip to the field was filled with, "ooh's and ahh's" as we all marveled in the glory surrounding us. The kids had a blast playing soccer and after the games, we headed over to the playground. I left the kiddos there with my friend Kim so that I could bring the van around and as I walked, my heart was overwhelmed with gratitude as I took in the view of the many homeschool families with their children of varying ages, in the middle of the afternoon, enjoying a beautiful fall day outside together. After I pulled the van around and the kiddos were loaded up, I rolled down my window and said to my friend, " Can you believe we get to do this?? We are so blessed!" To which she answered, "Yes, and we get to do it with our friends!"...I reminded her " And grandchildren!" as she had just been visiting with her 2 sweet granddaughters at the park moments earlier.
While I will admit, mothering and homeschooling is probably the hardest work I have ever set my hands to, His grace truly is sufficient and I am in awe of the privilege that I get to do this!!!
With a grateful and refreshed heart,
MamaB

No comments: