Saturday, April 04, 2009

Introducing Mercy's new look...

After much contemplation and discussion with my hubby and later Miss Britt, we took the plunge and decided to try adding yarn extensions to Mercy's hair. I had been hesitant to do something like this as we want Mercy to be comfortable with how the Lord made her natural hair and don't want her to feel like she needs long locs to be beautiful. Anyhow, after reading about these for a while, we realized that the hours of work to obtain this new 'do' just might payoff in easier day to day care and lots of fun for our little girl who has never had longer hair to play with. Typically, once a style is put in by Britt, it stays in for several weeks and can not be altered. With these yarn extensions, Mercy can change her hair style daily ( or as I learned today, multiple times daily!!)
So, Miss Britt faithfully researched this on her own and came ready, willing, and able to begin the process :) She arrived at 10am and left at 6pm ...they probably took a 15 minute break for lunch but she worked diligently on Mercy's hair for 8 hours!! She did an amazing job completing the back of her hair...now it was my turn to take over to do the front--GULP!!! I worked for 4 hours Friday evening and was somewhat discouraged at how my braids were turning out. My hubby wisely told us to call it quits at 11pm...wise man, I was so tired and ineffective, and Mercy needed a break too! I am not gifted when it comes to things like hair, sewing, knitting etc. So, I literally was crying out to God to get me out of this funk and to give me the ability to get the job done! He is faithful....after 4 more hours Saturday morning, Mercy's hair was completed. During the marathon braiding session yesterday she decided she would never want to do this again...She did remarkably well, sitting for so long ... we watched many videos...Anne of Green Gables and American Girl dvds were the favorites but she was ready to be done! Today after she saw the fruits of her patience, she was thrilled. Tonight before bed, she ran up to me, gave me the biggest hug and thanked me. I had to make a new rule though: Mercy is allowed one hair style per day~ She was rearranging her hair so much that the braids started to come undone---Yikes! I know the novelty will soon wear off, but I don't want to have to redo all these hours of work before that happens :)
I never would have imagined just a few years ago the amount of time and energy that goes into taking care of ethnic care...I am so grateful for the means of grace Miss. Britt has been to me and Mercy~~
Enjoy the pictures!
Love,
MamaB

In between taking her old style out, there was time for dyeing Easter eggs with the Di's...thankfully, it was warm enough to do this messy project outside!

More egg fun!

Even the boys got into decorating,although P's expression surely doesn't show it in this picture!

This is Mercy the next morning just before Britt arrived...taking out an old style is typically a process that lasts several hours or often all day... first Mercy (with help as needed) takes out all the beads and snaps, then she needs to untwist or unbraid her entire head(again, with help as needed). Next I wash her hair in the kitchen sink, and then condition. Finally, I begin the painstaking process of detangling. Unfortunately, this part of haircare(preparing her head for a new style) is often the most stressful :(

Miss Britt in action :)

Done at last!!!....after a combined effort of 16 hours. We all decided the finished product was well worth the efforts!

Mercy just loves shaking her head of long locs!(even if they are made of yarn!)

Experimenting with styles...
So many options!

Mercy put these in herself, effortlessly!

She looks so grown up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm learning a lot about hair from your blog! I never realized the time that it takes to do hair like Mercy's or that when I've seen that hairstyle on other people it's actually yarn. I love the new look though! I'll have to be sure to tell Lisa about this post...she always says that if they're able to adopt one day she'd love to have a black baby. If she gets a little girl she'll have to come take hair lessons from you. Thanks for sharing :)

Keri

All 8 of Us said...

Thanks for your note, Keri! Probably most heads of hair you have seen really are acrylic hair extensions and not yarn. I think this is just something us adoptive moms are trying to keep the cost reasonable and still get the same benefits of a 'weave'. I'm still learning tons about caring for Mercy's hair too!! She is having a ball being creative with her daily hairstyles, though :)