Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Savoring those grace-drenched moments....



In our house, once daybreak dawns and the youngest 4 are allowed downstairs (7am), the day takes off with a running start. There are so many things vying for my attention during these hours: 'issues' between siblings, schoolwork, meal preparation ,laundry, house upkeep etc. Any of you who stay at home know exactly what I am referring to. I have realized also that many times throughout the day there are little 'grace filled' moments that I miss if I don't purpose in my heart to take notice and relish them. A perfect example happened one morning last week. I was finishing up my quiet time in the family room ...it was calm and still in the house. Luke and Odesco were sitting at the kitchen table together with their drawing sets in front of them. They were conversing about which colors they liked and what they liked to draw. It really was a precious moment to see these 2 who are so very different relating on their own terms and really taking an interest in one another. I just sat back and watched them...enjoying and savoring the moment because I knew it was fleeting. Soon enough, there was an 'issue' about sharing pencils and why one brother did not feel he should have to extend generosity to the other. Poof --the moment was gone that quickly but I am grateful that by God's grace He opened my eyes to appreciate the work He has done as they related to one another in that brief 'snapshot of grace'.

So, I started taking pictures of these 'snapshots of grace' to remind myself that indeed God is at work in our midst. Trust me, it is all too easy for my sinful heart to fall into unbelief during the abundance of 'issues' that occur in just one 24 hour period. My heart is so prone to wander and stray and to plow ahead without taking notice of His handiwork among us.
Enjoy these snapshots of grace!!
Mama B.

For her birthday from C, Mercy received 3 cool Addy puzzles that can be placed inside an antique looking frame and displayed on her dresser... Here G and P were helping her out as she willingly shared her newly opened gift :)

L goes in for the squeeze...these 2 are always all over each other!
Thankfully, this was a happy moment!

Odesco is practicing his newly acquired reading skills with C~
One of my joys in homeschooling is the interaction the older boys have with their younger siblings...I'm so grateful they are together most of the time and have opportunity to build their relationships. Many days are accentuated with 'opportunities' (aka: conflict!) -that's why this is a 'snapshot of grace'!!

One early morning I could hear the 4 little ones giggling upstairs. It was still dark and they came downstairs. "Mercy" was shuffling over to me in a strange way but I didn't think twice since she loves to be dramatic...imagine their delight when they realized they had duped me!! Odesco had donned Mercy's clothing and sleep cap and because of the dim light and my still foggy morning brain, I didn't realize it wasn't her!! They had such fun laughing about this all day!!

During the school day Odesco and L were keeping themselves busy drawing airplanes...they did this without any prompting from mom :)

L's artistic skills continue to emerge~
this in itself is a 'snapshot of grace' because the Lord has given him his own little niche to develop and grow in. In light of Odesco's natural athletic inclinations, this is God's kindness to our' little man', L

Weightlifting in the basement. The older boys and Daddy include L and Odesco in their excursions to the basement for 'male bonding'!! Can you see his bulging muscles???

This gang was having such a jubilant time together I couldn't get one picture with them all looking at the same time !! On Sunday we had the joy of keeping the L girls while their parents went to the local airport to meet their newest addition to the family through the miracle of adoption---6 year old "Sweetpea." Everyone was giddy with anticipation. I loved listening to Mercy talk about her and Odesco's homecoming...she and G giggled as they remembered how Odesco walked into a pillar as we watched before he emerged from behind the glass doors at the airport!
When you have this many children close in age together there are ample opportunities for conflict and discord. Not tonight!! This was a definite 'snapshot of grace' as Mercy and Joy were pals, Odesco, L and A enjoyed playing with army men, and E and G did their own thing and helped me in the kitchen. What a blessing it is that Mercy and Odesco are literally surrounded by church friends who also share the common bond of adoption. Growing up, I remember adoption was a bit 'taboo' and not openly spoken of. Adoption is such a part of these kiddos' world that as they were leaving to see their new sister, Joy looked at my hubby and innocently asked,"So when are you going to bring home another one?!"

No comments: