Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bedtime prayers and the state of my heart....

From the mouth of Mercy tonight," Dear Lord Jesus, thank you that we did not have a 'tomato' today...I pray for my tru-tru ma that you would give her all the food she needs and that she would walk in your ways. Amen" ... Precious words and a door into her heart that I almost missed.

On a typical day, by the time the kiddos are tucked into bed and ready for prayers, I will admit I am spent and selfishly ready to get on with 'my agenda'. After I read to them and Mark prays with them , they will often call for me to come back upstairs and pray for them. Sadly, my heart often feels inconvenienced as I have been 'on duty' much of the day. What an opportunity it is to pray with faith for their future and to pray about the things that are dear to or heavy on their hearts. Tonight for Mercy, it was relief that a 'tomato'(tornado!!) did not occur--they heard the warning posted for several hours this evening and both Mercy and L were struggling with fear. Mercy has also been thinking often of her Liberian Ma as the past 2 evenings she has prayed for her...when it is my turn to pray, I also lift up her Ma but I try to follow her lead and only bring it up when she seems to open the door to talk about it. Oh how I need His grace to not miss precious opportunities because of my own sinful heart.

Tonight I am grateful for fresh conviction and praying that He would grant me grace to die to myself...even at the end of a tiring 'opportunity filled' day :)
MamaB

No comments: