Thursday, November 08, 2007

Mercy's big day ...

Well, it is now Thursday and I am happy to report that Mercy's new bite plate has not been lost or broken yet and for the most part, she is keeping it in her mouth. We are still working on etiquette during meal time. Since she must wear it ALL the time except when brushing, eating can be a bit tricky and occasionally she needs to remove it and put it back in place...she is learning that this is not to be done at the table but she needs to go into another room to reposition...not too appetizing especially when it is covered with food !! You should have heard the chorus of ,"Ewwww...." last night at dinner. When we first left the orthodontist office, she was lamenting that "I don't thound like mythelf!" I reminded her that she would adapt quickly and I promised to put my retainers in once we got home. I forgot about that promise, but she soon reminded me -I kept them in until the big boys asked me to remove them during read-aloud time though-guess my speech was a bit more distracting than I realized.

L had a rough night on Monday...he and I eventually ended up on the reclining chair in the family room as he was coughing, crying, and very uncomfortable.I didn't get much sleep but he did finally! On Tuesday night, Odesco decided he was feeling a bit left out(just kidding!) and was hacking much of the night.I tried sitting him up with pillow, giving him cough medicine but the poor little guy was coughing to the point of gagging himself so off he and I went at 3am to the downstairs recliner. It was so dark as we went downstairs all I could see were the whites of his eyes and his shiny, shiny pearly whites when he smiled at me. We had some nice snuggle time and he finally settled down. By God's grace, I was able to get an appointment to take him from Homeschooler's Day Out to the doctors.Thankfully, he does not have pneumonia ( he had this in March and his symptoms are very similar) but there is a chance he may have asthma so they did give us an inhaler. We used it before bed and again at 12am and the coughing stopped . So, guess we'll just have to keep an eye on this...he seems fine during the day. Last night L did pretty well...only woke up crying twice and fell back to sleep without having to come downstairs for more medication. So, I got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep and feel like a new woman today!! Another blessing was that yesterday, L had a special day with Mimi who heroically served us by leaving her house quite early to get here by 8am...she took L out for lunch and he ate pizza!! yeah, progress!! They had a great day of 1:1 together and Mimi even prepared dinner. Thanks, Mimi for serving us yet again :)
Some funny household happenings:
** The other night, I was in the van with a few of the kids and Odesco told us that his Liberian Ma was 'whike'(the way he pronounces white) like me..Of course we questioned his memory but he insisted,"I'm telling the truth!!" He also told us about seeing snakes in his village. Don't quite know what to make of this information but I'm glad he is sharing :)
*** I made hot oatmeal for breakfast ...I added cinammon and brown sugar for most of the kids but Mercy ate hers with red pepper and cinammon...she even had 2 bowls of it.
*** The other day the lunch time conversation was what each of the little ones want to be when they grow up. Mercy announced she wants to be a doctor some days of the week, a homeschool mom other days and a 'cooker' also because she 'loves food'! -(no surprise there!)
Need to run, L is asking for a sandwich of cheese, mustard and ketchup...music to my ears :)!!
These past few days my prayer has been: "Lord please be my strength because I feel so very weak and weary"...truly, when I am weak He is strong...may His power be perfected in my weakness!
Grateful for His sustaining grace,
Mama B.


Monday-A great start to the day--L wanted to eat :) -his request?...ice cream for BREAKFAST!!! We'll deal with bad eating habits later...right now, we are just thrilled to get some food into this little guy :)

Mercy walked into the office, signed her name on the clipboard and loudly asked, "Are you ready for me??"

Dr. Spinelli and his assistant with a smiley Mercy. They work so well with her and don't seem to mind her rather loud enthusiasm. Once again, she made herself right at home...kicked off her sneakers ,climbed into the chair and opened her mouth wide before Dr. S was even in position!!

Odesco came along with us since he was having 'issues' at home and needed some Mommy time. ... He was not shy at all and had his little face right in there for the first 'fitting' of Mercy's new bite plate.He surprised me by impulsively hitting the switch and sending Mercy's chair up...yikes-never a dull moment with these 2 around :)!!


~Mercy with Miss Cherie...she is holding the cool molds of her chompers :)

No comments: