Monday, November 19, 2007

Busy Days...

Wow, the days are flying by and I forgot to post the pictures from Mercy's birthday. L seems to be back to himself...at night he is sleeping so quietly that I have to climb up onto the top bunk just to make sure he is nestled safely in there. He has a bunch of pillows propped around the edges so I can't seem him and now I can't hear him :) I feel like a new mom checking on my newborn child just to make sure he is still breathing! His 'spots' are almost all faded but the doctor wants us to come in for two more urine/blood pressure checks just to be sure the HSP has completely resolved. We are very busy with school, field trips, and rehearsals for the kids musical which is on Thursday, the 29th. This year everyone but P will be in it...should be quite a memory, I'm sure.
On Saturday we went back to the ethnic hair salon I took Mercy to last winter. I have been having a difficult time doing her hair and I was told by my friend, Hope that she just might need another deep conditioning treatment to get us over the hump. Evidently the change of seasons can affect the moisture level in ethnic hair which then affects its manageability. Since I am still so new at all of this I decided it was time for some professional help. So off G, Mercy and I went to the salon. Being the only white faces in this bustling salon for 3 hours was quite the experience...the busyness of it all was unbelievable. They move so many people in and out of there it really is amazing to watch....and it is definitely a cultural experience. The girl who blew dry and braided Mercy's hair after the conditioning treatment told me Mercy has a 'fine grade' of hair and that I need to come in there every 2 weeks so they can condition it and braid it to help it grow. I thanked her for her advice but didn't let on that we will not be making an appearance there any time soon...I was so relieved to have her hair done though and it will last at least 2-3 weeks---woo-hoo that gives me an extra 3 to 5 hours in my schedule...I'm sure I'll find something to do!!
Last evening I was able to meet with several other ladies from church to surprise MamaK for her 40th birthday. It was wonderful being with all these godly women with the added bonus of blessing our special friend. A mutual friend reminded the 2 of us that it was at this very same diner (same table I think!) over 2 years ago on my 40th birthday that we discussed a magazine article we had read about the orphans of Liberia. Both of our families had literally just embarked on the information stage of adoption and here we sat over 2 years later , our children home and our lives forever changed through the miracle of adoption. Around that table last evening were also 2 other friends who also to be adoptive mommies. Between the 4 of us we have 9 adopted children.... this morning our friend Kim had penned us these words regarding adoption and I was so affected by them. Our children have been so warmly embraced by our church and biological families. What rich fertile soil for their roots to grow deep and strong....

Girls, Ever have a moment when you can't talk or you'll cry? Well, I had that last night and wanted to share it with you. As we were talking about Jenkins traumatic experience with his ultrasound, I looked across from where I was sitting and there were you four adoptive mothers lined up in a row. I began thinking about NINE lives changed forever because four mothers chose to open their hearts and homes to ones that had only broken hearts and no homes. And, I began to think even more....these little ones received so much more when they became your children. And just like our God who gives us more than we could ask or imagine, He does so for our children. Not only did they receive the love and care of a mother, but they have fathers also. (Not something every child could say) Doesn't stop there...they have mothers and fathers who LOVE each other...in fact, they would say that their parents are best friends. Doesn't stop there...they have grandparents who love them.....aunts, uncles, cousins!!! Doesn't stop there....they have a church family where each one is knitted into the hearts of so many.... I just love the word "adoption", as a Christian, it is so rich in meaning.... I can sit here and think through each child: E with such confidence, A with such compassion, and J singing her little heart out! Mercy (the drama queen) has self-control enough to be in a play...amazing. Odesco, twice the size of his brother, but they are inseparable. Felicia who eagerly crawls onto my lap...only to turn around and get off--she has places to go! Jenkins who thinks that since he's arrived the party can start (love that!!) S the ever watchful brother over M who needs watching!!! Each one possesses their own personality, each one loved, nurtured, even educated by their mothers! Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing these children not only into your families, but into our church family as well. We are a richer church because of them. Thank you. Love, Kim

How blessed I am to have such supportive friends who truly have a love for our children!!

Our hearts are especially full as we consider that at this time last year we were riding the emotional roller coaster of awaiting the childrens' homecoming.It was on and off again for several weeks until they were finally here. I know Mercy and Odesco are looking forward to seeing their cousins, grandparents, aunts, and uncles but I think they will most enjoy...THE FOOD!!!!
Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!
With a grateful heart,
MamaB





Our homeschool buddies on a field trip to the Constitution Center. Odesco and Mercy did not accompany us on this trip. Instead, Odesco had a wonderful playdate with Jenkins and Mercy was able to spend the day with her sweet friend, Hannah. A great way to spend a few hours on her first birthday in America.

L saw this man in colonial garb and asked if he could have his picture taken with him. The man willingly obliged although he looks a bit stern!

We were blessed to have Grandmom and Pop-Pop B and Mimi and Pop-Pop join us in celebrating Mercy's 6th birthday...her first birthday here in America .

C has such a tender heart for his little brothers and often he climbs into bed with them once they are already sound asleep. It's also self serving in a way as he has a hard time waking up early in the morning and knows if he is in with the little guys, there's almost no chance of sleeping in.He also knows on these cooler nights that his little brothers will warm up a nice snuggly spot for him! He tries to split up his time between the 2 beds. The other morning when he and L stuck their heads over the bunkbed rails, I had to run to get my camera. They both had that sleepy puppy look and I just couldn't resist.

These 2 just crack me up...a study in contrasts! There is something so yummy about 4 and 5 year-old little boys!! Here they are modeling their new thermals! Just this morning they both had 'dream stories' to share. Odesco took me to the top of the stairs and told me that in his dream he closed his eyes , jumped, and landed at the bottom of the stairs (a full flight!) and it was fun. I reminded him that it was a dream and not to try it! L told me he prayed to Jesus before he fell asleep that he would have a dream about Starwars and skateboards and it happened :)!! Too funny...I told you they were yummy!

While I was doing school with G, these 2 raided the dress-up bin and decided to 'get married' but they reassured me that they understood , "Brothers and sisters can't really get married!". Later in the evening the 4 littles staged a wedding with G as the bride. Since our days are filled with opportunities for conflict resolution it is a joy to see them having such fun together!!

Our handsome little man

What to do to make the best of a rainy, dreary day? The 4 littles decided an indoor picnic was just the thing needed. While I prepared lunch they were busy scurrying around finding the centerpiece and all the fixings :)

Last Friday we went on a field trip to the Aquarium for G and C's zoology class. We decided to take the whole gang...here Mercy is petting a shark. She showed no fear and actually needed reminders to keep her feet on the floor to avoid falling in the tank with these critters!

Hanging with the penguins... L was a little too enthusiastic petting the sharks and his entire sleeve was dripping wet. We borrowed a sweatshirt that was nearly as big as him!!

Kodak moment...Odesco and L

Show Time.... These guys had us all in stitches as they 'performed' for us. The funniest part was listening to L 'coach' the rest of the gang. Later on Odesco took down the African drum and the dancing began...pretty hysterical-especially when I played the drum and Odesco showed us his African moves...this boy can dance!!

Another memorable trip to the hair salon!

Always the actress.... Mercy remembered the older woman who had fallen asleep in the dryer next to her during her last visit so she couldn't wait to relive that silly moment!

Mercy after they conditioned and blew out her hair...next they braided it

The finished 'do' and of course all the others (minus P) couldn't resist the urge to squeeze their way into the picture!!
Happy 40th MamaK...oops did I just give away your age???

The gang at mama K's birthday surprise...how rich we are with friends :) A few of us lingered around chatting and were shocked to see it was past 11:30pm...our hubbies were shocked as well!!


No comments: