Thursday, May 10, 2007

Never A Dull Moment...

In the midst of the chaos, my friend, Sheila, realizing this was a 'bloggable' moment we would laugh about later , got my camera and snapped a picture of a few of our displaced friends due to the "fire drill'. The kids sure didn't mind...more time for football, frisbee, and skateboarding in the parking lot!!


Well, yesterday was the last day of Homeschooler's Day Out...it went so quickly this semester and we survived :) I'm so grateful for all of the support we have in our homeschooling...lots of eager, talented moms willing to share their gifts with our children. It was a gorgeous spring day.... many of the moms were treated to a 'teatime' by our sneaky friend, Kim. She also happens to be the writing instructor for some of our kiddos and when class began, she dismissed the moms to a lovely outdoor tea complete with yummy delectables made by some of the other children in cooking class- a coordinated effort!! Surprisingly, I was even able to enjoy/gulp a cup down myself in between 'opportunities' for conflict resolution a few feet away in the gym where our 4 youngest were playing with their many little friends. I had just come back into the play area for one of these 'opportunities' and turned my back to take a drink from my water bottle.

Suddenly, there was a deafening clanging...the fire alarm went off and in my ignorant bliss, I assumed it was a planned drill until I heard my observant friend holler above the clanging bells," IT WAS ODESCO!!" ...huh? I turn around and sure enough he is standing there, like the proverbial deer in the headlights, (eyes open really wide!! ) next to the fire alram with the handle in the down position. Calls by efficient friends were made to stop the firetrucks from being dispatched but in the meantime, classes were emptying out into the parking lot~ the children were certainly grateful for this forced break in their day!! Word spread like wildfire and everyone knew who the culprit was...by the time we got outside , my little man crumbled in my arms and went into his 'shut down' mode. It took about 5 minutes for the alarm to be turned off and the bells to silence. Mercy was terrified from the noise and quickly grabbed the hand of another friend who lovingly comforted her while I took care of Odesco....Truly, it wasn't his fault...I had never instructed him NOT to pull down that tempting little handle on that interesting red box placed just at his height on the gymnasium wall... we later talked about the purpose of the fire alarm and when it would be appropriate to pull it...I showed him an extinguisher and explained that those were off limits as well. I am learning that I need to instruct in areas I never would have to think about with our other kiddos...hmm wonder how many other adventures await as our curious children explore their new world!!

Thankfully, Odesco recovered by the time his next class met and he was back to his old self. I am grateful there was no fee for the false alarm (for some reason I had it in my mind that there was a hefty fine for this sort of thing!) So, never a dull moment around here :) One thing is for sure, I trust that no member of the B family will EVER pull that tempting little lever again!!

Tonight the kiddos (the 5 oldest) will perform in our Spring musical called "Nic at night" about Nicodemus. It will be Mercy and L's stage debut ...be sure to check back for pics...ought to be another fun memory. Mimi and Pop-pop and Mom and Dad B will be coming as well...oh and today is P's 12th birthday!! Such excitement around here :)...
Thanks for checking in!!
Blessings,
Mama B

No comments: