Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Trophies of grace.....

~Little man L feeling oh so big on his skateboard~
Don't think they had scooters in Liberia!
Our 2 littlest men snuggled on the couch for an impromptu nap!


Mercy and Odesco had their first attempts at scootering in our cul-de-sac during these beautiful spring-like days...this is the only helmet we could find to fit Mercy's head due to all her clicky-clacky beads and snaps! A few minutes after this picture was taken, Mercy came back into the house and resourcefully tied winter scarfs around her knees for protection against inevitable falls off the scooter...pretty creative but she didn't quite understand that the position of the scarfs hanging down would get caught in the wheels and send her flying headlong into the pavement...we convinced her to take them off and to just be careful :)
~Daddy's surprise portrait~
Yesterday (Wednesday) M worked from home to assist me with Mercy and Odesco's much anticipated doctor's appointments . We have not been back for them since the infamous December initial visit!( See entry on December 5th ,2006 for specifics!) I vividly remember leaving the office on that crazy day feeling quite beat up and musing that the kids' behavior certainly gave God much room to show his glory in future visits. I am sure the doctor and nurses were secretly (and maybe even spoke it aloud after we left!!) wondering what in the world we thought we were doing adopting older children from across the world into our family.
Well fast forward to yesterday...we had spent a bit of time preparing Mercy and Odesco for the visit...even discussed appropriate greetings and what was expected during the dreaded 'jukes' (shots)...there was to be no out of control screaming, tantruming, kicking etc. The doctor was totally shocked by these 2 litttle people before him...we were sooo proud of their bravery and behavior. Mercy still managed to make a bit of noise during the shots but , she was under control and really just terrified and I can't say that I blame her...2 shots in each arm :( Odesco , we were surprised to learn has walking pneumonia...this little guy was coughing but never had a fever and really did not act acted sick like the others except for taking a long nap the other day...the doctor believes the pneumonia was a complication from the 'crud' (as he called it!) that the others were getting over. He did not think he was contagious, but just in case, he did order meds which were started yesterday.Just to reassure our friends who were with us today: we did get the all clear to bring him out today :) All this to say that Odesco did not get any shots due to him being ill...he will be catching up later. Both kiddos gained 5.5 pounds and grew at least 1.5 inches each in height!! Odesco's feet have grown considerably as well...I remember the doctor laughing at how big Odesco's sneakers were back in December and now we can barely squeeze them on. Amazing what good nutrition does to a malnourished body!! Both kiddos also cooperated well for simple vision testing and this was after Mercy's 'juke session'! When it was all over, the nurses 'awarded' both children with 'bravery awards' which had Chick-Fil-A coupon attached for a free kids meal for each of them. We had been planning to treat the kids to something since this appointment was right smack in the middle of lunch time...we had all 6 children with us and hit the Chick-Fil-A on the way home. Mercy and Odesco had a blast in their first indoor playground experience(the others had great fun along with them!) and surprisingly transitioned well when we told them it was time to leave :) By the time we returned home, there was only about an hour before Grandmom and Pop-Pop arrived.
Truly, yesterday was an opportunity for God to remind us of how far Mercy and Odesco have come and what a work He has done in their little hearts in just 3 short months! I just completed the kids' 3 month postplacement reports so I this reminder coincided with the mental review I had just completed...
Also,yesterday we were able to delight in the kids' interaction with Grandmom and Pop Pop. Mom and Dad B's prior visit was well, let's just say it was brief and memorable and followed up with some phone call apologies!! Yesterday was a delightful contrast from the Valentine's Day fiasco. No boots,or helmets flying yesterday :) It is actually very comical to remember it now that it is a somewhat distant memory! Thanking God for big steps taken- :)

Almost everytime we have had a great boost like yesterday, it is followed by a very challenging day and today was no exception. I laugh thinking maybe I ought to just prepare my heart on the good days for 'opportunities' to abound when the sun dawns again :) Seriously, I liken it to a reminder from God Himself ...it feels as if He is saying," This is what I am doing ...look at the marvelous work I am accomplishing in these little hearts...be encouraged by this evidence of fruit when it seems as if behaviors are regressing and no progress has been made."
I needed to remind myself of this over and over and over again today as one of our dear children in particular tested the limits endlessly at Homeschooler's Day Out..I would say this little one was rattling the fence of their boundaries testing to see if Mom really would enforce rules while we were out of the house and slowly I trust this child is learning that choices have consequences and that rules apply in and out of the house...

So, there you have it...definate progress made and lots of work yet to do :)!! And of course these days of fence rattling reveal the gunk in my own heart and why I so desperately need a Savior!
~I am reminded today of His steadfast love toward me when I rattle the fence of the boundaries He has lovingly set ...Lord help me to grow in steadfast love!!
Oh ...a cute Odesco moment...after a good 'greasing' with coconut oil he proudly told me, "Mommy- I shiny,shiny...my own self I see in my leg!"....too funny :)
(yes, for those wondering, I do write down what these 2 say word for word...I have post it notes in various places around the house because my brain could never remember all the funny things they say!)
Thanks for stopping by!
Love, Mama B

No comments: