Friday, March 05, 2010

The Roots are Growing Deeper!


The roots in the heart of our blossoming sunflower are growing deeper and I did not want to miss an opportunity to give glory to God for the mighty work He is doing. It reminds me of the struggle a butterfly must go through when it breaks free of its chrysalis... it is painful to watch such toil, yet through the struggle God brings new life that would not come about any other way. Twice this week, there were 'issues' that typically would send Mercy into what I would call 'meltdown mode'. The storm clouds were brewing but Mercy responded to the whispers of the Holy Spirit in her heart, humbled herself, and asked forgiveness. A situation that typically would have taken all day (really!!) to resolve was over in about an hour. Absolutely amazing!
Then today, Mercy was confronted with her 'dark heart' (her words) once more and we were able to talk about how God's light can chase away all the darkness in her heart. I reassured her that darkness resides in my heart also and this is why I am so desperate for a Savior. We spoke of the profound truths outlined in Romans 7..."I do what I don't want to do, and I don't do what I do want to do"....
She told me she is "just like Justin" from the cd series Down Gilead Lane. When I asked her to explain, she admitted that just like Justin she gets stuck in 'dark pits'. This reminded me of the quote I have been meditating upon that we read many times this week in a Corrie Ten Boom biography. So, I shared, "Mercy, that sounds like what Betsie said to Corrie in the book we just read...
"Remember, there is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper"
Her face was full of expression as she connected the dots that God had orchestrated to reveal such deep truths to her. Then she shared,"It's like my favorite song(by Natalie Grant)
There's no such thing as perfect people
There's no such thing as a perfect life
So come as you are, broken and scarred
Lift up your heart and be amazed
And be changed, by a perfect God

Mercy has loved this song since last summer and to see her processing all of these truths and putting it all together is so very encouraging. All of these pieces falling into place point to a gracious God who longs to shower His mercy upon our Mercy...these were not unrelated random happenings ...no, God is at work and He is masterfully weaving all of this together so that a broken heart can be healed by Him alone.

Isaiah 43:18-20

18 "Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.


My heart is so grateful for these 'streams in the wasteland' and it is good for me to recall them now before I am tempted to lose sight of the new thing He is doing.

P.S.~ The pictures above are from our sunflowers last summer... the previous summer Mercy was so distressed when her beloved sunflower was ripped right out of the ground during a violent summer thunderstorm...this provided a very vivid picture for her of what happens when roots do not grow deep and drink up the nutrients of the soil ...it also provided a great word picture for us to encourage her to grow her roots deeply into the soil of her new life in our family. We started the sunflowers pictured above from seed and I was so thankful the Lord blessed our efforts with many tall, strong sunflowers that all weathered the summer's many thunderstorms. She knew it was because 'their roots grew deep'. What a joy it is to see her own roots digging into the soil here.

4 comments:

mb said...

Oh I read these stories, kathi, and wonder at where Mercy will be in ten or twenty yrs... she is such a special young lady and learning so much. Thanks for sharing these moments of truth and breakthru w/your girl. They touch my heart every time.
May the Lord bless your efforts and give you and Mark strength to carry on, not growing weary in doing good. Go girl!

All 8 of Us said...

Thanks for your encouragement, MB :)

Love Always Wins. James 1:27 said...

Kathi,

Love hearing about God's faithfulness and how He is working in Mercy's life! I am praying for great joy in this journey for her and for you and Mark. Much love to you all!

Katie

All 8 of Us said...

Thanks for your heart for our Mercy, Katie!!!