Friday, September 05, 2008

The final days of summer...

As you can see, I have been busy downloading our latest pictures of summer.(3 posts in one night?!?) M and P are at youth group together and the littles just got to bed ...C is busy reading so I have time to blog :)!
Before the leaves start to change and the first frost hits I thought I'd better get the rest of our summer photos up! Here goes...hope you enjoy them!

Thursday free breakfast at Chick-fil-A-gotta' love it! Note that L looks less than thrilled in this picture because finishing a meal is always a challenge--in contrast to Odesco who is literally licking his chops and enjoying his meal immensely!!. We met the Kach's , the B, and H family here as well. Before leaving the restaurant , our day had been spontaneously rearranged...I brought home the girls and Mama K took home the little boys and the big boys went home with the B's...then we met up again at another friend's house for pool day after lunch. I just love the spontaneity and carefree nature of summer days and friends to swap kiddos with :)!!

L and Miss too cute Felicia

Odesco proudly showing me Liberia on the Chick-Fil-A globe :)

Fun day at the 'Deben's lake'...always a summer highlight!

I was trying to keep the troops out of trouble before we headed to a swim day...so I gave them the task of putting together a US puzzle while they practiced 'singing' the "Eastern Border of the United States" song at the top of their lungs! G was 'tutoring' them :)

L and D paddling away on another lake. What a wonderful time we had celebrating J and D's birthday with several other families at a camp in the area...it was one of those 'magical days' of summer where everything seems to go just right :)

G and Mercy have fun on the lake with Mr. G and his kiddos

P and his friend D kindly included Odesco in their kayak ride~

Another highlight for the kiddos was jumping off this dock...here is Jenkins attempting to catch a ball...

Sweet friends~

Jenkins and Odesco kept busy for much of the day just digging...their enthusiasm got the best of them and a few times they accidentally flung some dirt toward other bathers...a quick reminder from the lifeguard (before I could get to them) remedied this :)

Cousin Lexie came for a visit and the big boys went across the bridge to hang with her brother for an overnite'...we took advantage of the 'free bowling' again... I totally misunderstood the pricing of the 2nd game but we stayed cool and out of trouble for a few hours so, it was well worth my blunder!

These 2 are such characters together!


A sibling huddle ...Mercy , L and G knew Odesco was frustrated with some drawings he was working on...here they are whispering to each other that they should tell him that he is a good artist...too funny!

The other morning I could hear Odesco in and out of his closet...then he came downstairs with his bear all gussied up :)


The beginning of our Wacky Labor Day!
Our annual "back to school supply" hunt... I unearth all the great finds I purchased at the homeschool fair in May and spice it up with some great supplies for the year ahead. Then, I bag up each child's things and hide them in the backyard with a really lame rhyming clue ...it's a sneaky way to get the little ones excited about all their new school books! Even though the big guys laugh at my corny clues, I know they look forward to it just as much as the younger crew.


Later on in the day we took advantage of the Chick -Fil-A freebie for all those wearing football team logos.
We all raided the closets prior to errand running and just happened to be passing by -um- a 'few' of the local stores :) I have certainly lowered my healthy eating standards for the kids these past few weeks of free giveaways. Yep, we shamelessly took full advantage of the generosity of our local Chick-Fil-A stores!! The kids had chicken several days this week due to their benevolence !!

After our Chick-Fil-A stops (remember I said they were on the way as we ran errands, really!!), we ended up at the local Walmart...it was HOT outside but we couldn't leave the car running so M and C ran in for a 'quick' stop while I waited with the others in the van. I had the brilliant idea to turn the fan on high to keep the air moving and the kids breathing . When M returned, the battery was dead...thankfully a Good Samaritan helped us out and we were quickly on our way!
Ten minutes later on the way home, we just happened to pass another(!) Chick-Fil-A...
I ran in with half the kids while M kept the car running to recharge the battery. While we were in there, a car in the parking lot had a dead battery and M was able to jump their battery. It was a comical day...oh, but it wasn't over ...

The gang at Panera~
(P was caught with a mouth full!)
After our escapades, I decided to roast a chicken in the oven since Daddy would be home on time for dinner ( I know what you're thinking--more CHICKEN?! )... I had forgotten about the Labor Day freebie when I defrosted the bird the nite' before so I had to cook it. About an hour into the cooking, all the power in the house went off..I thought I blew a fuse but walked outside to find 3 of our neighbors wondering the same thing. I called the power company and was told that there had been 'animal contact' with a transformer (in other words, a squirrel got fried!). The power was not projected to come back on for several hours so the kids were thrilled when Daddy suggested a trip to Panera- a very rare treat...the kids had bagels for dinner and I enjoyed a fresh salad. (By the way, the Chick-Fil-A was in the same shopping center but being folks of such self restraint, we declined another freebie-- we had already collected our stash at this store :)!!! By the time we returned home, the power was back on and my chicken finally finished roasting at 10 pm!
It was certainly a memorable end to our summer!
Now, back to healthier eating :)
I forgot to mention that while I was cooking the chicken, Odesco was outside playing football with C. Somehow, he ended up with his own knee in his mouth?! and knocked out his other wobbly front tooth! Lots of blood but no tooth to be found...I really do think dentistry is in the future for one of our kids since they all seem to be rather adept at speeding along the tooth-losing process!

No comments: